The Department of Arabic, Persian and Urdu, University of Madras, has established ‘Madihur Rasool Sadakatullah Appa Award‘ to recognize the significant contributions of distinguished Arabic scholars to Arabic language and literature. We propose to give this award annually to an eminent Arabic scholar from India who has contributed to the development of Arabic language and literature by his outstanding teaching, research, and publication. The award includes a citation and memento.
The department of Arabic, Persian and Urdu, University of Madras organized its National Seminar on “Prison Literature in Arab World” on 25th March 2013 at O.R.I. Auditoriusm, Marina Campus, University of Madras.
During the spectacular inaugural function of the Seminar Dr. Thandavan, Vice-Chancellor, University of Madras, conferred the “Madihur Rasool Sadakatullah Appa award 2012” to outstanding Scholar of Arabic language and literature – Sheik Dr. V. Abdur Rahim .
Mr. A.G. Mouray, I.P.S. (DIG, Prison HQ, Chennai), Thozh
ar Thiagu (Human Rights Activist), Dr. P. Nisar Ahmed (Former H.O.D. Dept of Arabic, University of Madras), Dr. S. Abdul Maliq (Principal, The New College, Chennai), Dr. Salahuddin Mohamed Ayub (Chief Qazi, Govt. of Tamil Nadu) felicitated Dr. V. Abdur Rahim for his contribution for the language and literature of Arabic.
MADIHUR RASOOL SHAIK SADAQATULLAH APPA (1632-1703 AD)
He is considered the pioneer in the reconstruction of Islamic society of the Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka. He played vital role for the renaissance of Islamic culture, after the Portuguese had left out Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka.
Shaik Sadaqatullah Appa, the third son of Shaik Sulaiman, was an erudite scholar in Theology, Jurisprudence and Tasawwuf. He studied under his father and Shaik Makhdomm Abdul Qadir of Adirampattinam. He got proficiency in all the branches of Islamic sciences, Arabic language and literature.
He visited various places in Arab countries and stayed for two years in the Holy cities of Makkah and Madina. Thousands of students from India and foreign countries studied under him.
He has close intimacy with Mughal Emperor Aurangazeeb. He has given necessary source material for writing the book “Seerapuranam” to the poet Omar (Umarpulavar).
He left the following works:
1. Tawzeehudh Dalaalah fi tasheehil Jalaalah
2. Istidaaul A’laam ila Dua itbatil Allam
3. Taqteeful Jaani ila Tasreefiz Zanjani
4. Al-Hawaashi alaal Baidawi wadh Dimyari wadh Durrul Mantur wa tibbul Azraaq
5. AT-Takmees wat Tadhyeel alaal Qaseedatil Witriyyah
6. Takmees al-Burdah
7. Takmees Baanat Suaad
8. Takmees Tukhr al-Maad
The famous Arabic epic of Shaik Sadaqathullah Appa, Qaseedatul Witriyyah should be considered the pioneering Arabic literature in the history of Indian Muslims.
Dr. V. ABDUR RAHIM (1933 AD)
He was born in Vaniyambadi, Tamil Nadu, India in 1933. After finishing his secondary school studies, he joined Presidency College, University of Madras where he majored in English Language and Literature. He graduated in 1957. In 1964, he joined al-Azhar University, Cairo, where he did his M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Arabic Philology.
In 1969, he joined the Islamic University of Madinah to teach Arabic Philology. Here, he was also associated with the Programme of teaching Arabic as a foreign language. The course he designed for this purpose is now known as Durūs al-Lughah al-“Arabiyyah li Ghayr al-Natiqīna bihā. Now these books are popularly known throughout the world as “MADINAH BOOKS”.
The following are the books Dr. Abdur Rahim has written in the field of teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language:
1. Let’s Begin to Read Arabic
2. Al-Tibyān (Tamil, Urdu and English Versions)
3. Durūs al-Lughah al-“Arabiyyah li Ghayr al-Natiqīna bihā
4. Key to Durūs al-Lughah al-“Arabiyyah li Ghayr al-Natiqīna bihā (3 Parts)
5. Teachers’ Guide to Durūs al-Lughah al-“Arabiyyah li Ghayr al-Natiqīna bihā (3 Parts)
6. A Glossary of words used in Durūs al-Lughah
7. Key to Exercises of Durūs al-Lughah (3 Parts)
8. Kalīd (Urdu) in 3 Parts
9. Ahadīth Sahlah
10. Nusūs min al-Hadīth al-Nabawiyy al-Sharīf
11. Nusūs Islāmiyyah
12. From Esfahan to Madinah in Search of Truth
13. Al-Bāhith “an al-Haqq
14. Innahumā min Mishkātin Wāhidah
15. Both These Lights Emanate from the Same Niche
16. Fī Balāti Hiraql
17. Abshir bi Khayri Yawm
18. Arba”ūna Hadīthan
19. Al-Mus”if fī Lughati wa I”rābi Sūrati Yūsif
20. Selections from the Glorious Qur’ān (with DVDs and audio CD) Arabic-English
21. Sūrat al-Hujurāt with Lexical & Grammatical Notes (with DVDs & Audio CD)
22. Madinah Arabic Reader: An eight-part Arabic Language Course as taught at the Islamic University, Madinah (Children’s Version of No. 3. Arabic-English)
23. Durūs al-Lughah al-“Arabiyyah li Ghayr al-Natiqīna bihā li l-Atfāl: Arabic Reader for Children, 2 volumes (Arabic)
24. Nūr-un “alā Nūr (Sūrat al-Nūr, āyāt 35-46 with Lexical & Grammatical Notes)
25. Arabic Conversation Drills (Book & DVDs)
26. Rahbar-e-Mu”allim, Part One (Urdu)
He has written the following books in the field of Arabic Philology:
1. Al-Jawālīqī’s Al-Mu”arrab, edited by Dr V. Abdur Rahim
2. Al-Qawl al-Asīl
3. Sawā’ al-Sabīl
4. Al-I”lām bi Usūl al-A”lām
5. Al-Dakhīl fi l-Lughati l-“Arabiyyati l-Hadīthati wa Lahajātihā
6. Mu”jam al-Dakhīl
7. Europe Speaks Arabic
He has written the following book in the field of Urdu Philology:
Parda Uthadun Agar Chehra-e-Alfāz Se… (Urdu)
Books in the field of Islamic Studies:
1. Hajj, Umrah & Ziyara (Tamil & English)
2. Dalīl al-Hayārā fī Tasmiyati Kutubi l-Yahūdi wa l-Nasārā
3. Kyā Yeh Kitāb Dīnī Darsgāhōn men Padhāejāne ke Lā’iq hae? (Urdu)
His books are published in India by Islamic Foundation Trust, Chennai (138, Perambur High Road, Chennai – 600 012, www.ift-chennai.org)
He taught Arabic Language at many universities like Islamic University, Madinah, Islamic University, Omdurman, Sudan, Khartoum University, Sudan.
He conducted Arabic Language Courses in different parts of the world such as Washington D.C., Toronto, Berlin, London, British Guyana, Philippines.
His cooperation with the Institute of the Language of the Quran in Toronto, Canada, has resulted in Toronto becoming a Mecca of Arabic Learning in North America where thousands of Muslims are learning Arabic using his Arabic Language Programme.
Dr. V. Abdur Rahim is an outstanding Scholar of Arabic Language and Literature;
Deeply learned in the Glorious Qur’an and Sunnah;
Formerly Professor of Arabic Language for 30 years at the International Islamic University of Madinah;
Has been teaching Arabic as a foreign language for more than 50 years;
An expert on European Languages: their etymology, phonetic change and semantic development;
Formerly the Director of the ‘Institute of Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language’, Islamic University of Madinah;
Currently, the Director of the Translation Centre at the ‘King Fahd Glorious Qur’an Printing Complex’ (Madinah, Saudi Arabia), and has been serving as its Director for over 15 years.
Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, the former President of India conferred the national award of Outstanding Arabic scholar on Dr. V. Abdur Rahim in 1997.